Carli

Join us in welcoming our daughter Cara Callia Orendain. Born last March 14, 2005, she came into this world at 6.6 lbs - healthy and beaming with joy. This is her blog, written by her parents with her thoughts in mind. She has been a source of their renewed creativity, and hopefully she will someday enjoy reading these to herself.

September 14, 2005

What's in a Name?

I’m six months old today and as in all mid-points in life, my mid-year existence calls for some serious reflection. So today, I’ve decided to give my identity and destiny some thought.

My Dad says the function of one’s name is to answer life’s most important questions – Who am I? What am I in this world for? Pretty profound, don’t you think, for someone named Jacinto Ciriaco?

Cara Callia. Carli for short. This is my name, my identity, my destiny. Cara in Italian means “dear” or “precious” and Callia is Greek for “beauty.”

My mom, Monique Therese (definitely a very pretty name), who knows all too well how a name could impact one’s self esteem, made sure that name giving in the family would not be left to someone named Jacinto Ciriaco.

Anyway, back to Cara Callia. Cara also means "face" in Spanish. Well, you be the judge if "beautiful face," the Spanish-Greek version of my name fits me well. I really think that this is a reflection of the vanity of my parents who presumed that two beautiful people cannot but have a beautiful baby.

Cara, by the way, also means “expensive” in Italian. This, I have no problem living up to. My Dad often calls me Molto Cara (very expensive) each time he comes home with fresh stocks of diapers and milk.

I love my name. It’s profound, pretty, inspiring, and very much like precious china – used only for special occasions. When I’m in my diapers and Divisoria clothes, I’m called all sorts of unflattering names – Coochi, Coockoochie, Schooch, Squirt, Baby (how generic), Anak, Anakis, Bajinggay-jingay (patented by Lola Betty), Stinky Butt, Chunky Butt, Chubby Cheeks, etc, etc.

Anyway, thanks for the beautiful name, Mom and Dad. I hope I’ll be able to live up to it and fulfill my Cara Callia destiny -- to be God’s precious and beautiful gift to the world.

1 Comments:

At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty baby carli, there is a certain melody to how your names are pronounced,
"caraahhcaleeeeyaah"
how softly the consonants and vowels roll off one's tongue! There is a harmony to it, a rythym that is almost poetic! Of course I am not surprised, your parents are both very creative - you are their masterpiece! his blog site is a close second! - well done jack and nikki! i bookmarked this na.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home